Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Back that Thang Up!

No, this post is not about 90's music, I'm just trying to remind everyone to back up all their computer files!

Sad but true I'm reminded of it right now while I stare at my (formerly favorite) little 8 GB jump drive.  It has been my partner in crime for the past three years!  I have shared all my pictures, spreadsheets and every last one of my Masters assignments with it.  It lived in my wallet right next to my other inanimate object BFF, my debit card.  But today it decided to be a little punk and change it's formatting so that I can't access anything on it. 
I keep asking myself, "How did we share so much over so many years for it to just turn it's back on me?!?"

When it first happened, Denny (being the rational husband he is) calmed me down and took me to the wizards of all computer woes, The Geek Squad!  Surely those amazingly knowledgeable guys would be able to outsmart a teeny tiny two ounce jump drive. Right?  Wrong!!
The geeks sadly looked at me and said there was nothing they could do.  It was crushing and heartbreaking.  And then I lost it.  Right there in Best Buy.  I was "that pregnant women" crying over all my lost pictures and documents from the past three years. Pa-thetic!  The two geeks behind the counter were clearly cursing at themselves for ever applying for the job and just kept trying to tell me how sorry they were in hopes I would eventually disappear.  Talk about embarrassing.  Who's the geek now?

I know there are millions of things in life that could be worse, way worse.  But this is a major bummer.  Pictures from over thirty weddings, twenty holidays and countless hours of assignments for my Masters.  I honestly feel like part of my MBA is going to be taken away from me because I can't support the fact that I ever wrote a paper. 

So now I'm spending my evening sulking, being cranky and googling answers of how to regain 8 gigs of my life.  Thus far the search has been unsuccessful.  Supposedly there are a few options that can help me restore my files but I won't know for sure if the claims prove to be true without a swipe of my credit card for $45 or $79 dollars.  I might sleep on it so I can make a more logical, less emotional decisions. 

In the meantime, I keep playing a slide show in my head of all the times I saved stuff on my little jump drive while It's so Hard to Say good-bye to Yesterday plays in the background of my brain.

I'm sure I'll wake up tomorrow and feel better, and maybe even find the miraculous download that will help me restore all my memories and hard work.  In the meantime, don't be a Juvenile and lose you documents.  Quit reading this blog and back that thang up!  It's the only way to ensure you won't be cursing the lost pictures in your Semi-Charmed Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment