Tuesday, June 19, 2012

One cool kiddo

I have already mentioned about a hundred times how lucky I have been to grow up with great parents, but it is the truth!  One thing that was super cool about my Dad is that he was a Big Brother through Big Brothers Big Sisters in his twenties .  Dad kept in touch with Bobby, his Little Brother, during his 30's, 40's, 50's and even today! 

It motivated me from a young age to be involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters once I was in a stable job and city.  This came about six years ago when I landed in Buffalo.  So I gave the Buffalo Big Brothers Big Sisters organization a call, and a few interviews later I was matched with cutie-pie, Erma!  She was 6 going on 7 at the time and was sweet as could be! 

Fast forward five years we are still matched and see each other regularly.  We have gone putt-putting, baked cookies, watched movies, visited trampoline parks, and just hung out over pizza.  (I'm pretty sure that I have more fun when we are together than she does) 

She is turning 12 in eleven days and I can't believe what an amazing, sweet and thoughtful young lady she is becoming.  Despite some tough circumstances in her life she is an awesome little girl.  One thing I love about her is her outlook on life.  When we are together I'm always reminded of the real important things in life. 

Some of my favorite conversations with Erma have kept me laughing for days.  Here is my favorite example of her view on life:
  
   (While playing the Guess How Old We Are game)
     Denny:  Erma, guess what year I was born...
     Erma:  Hmm, I'm not sure Denny.  When?
     Denny:  Erma I was born in the 70's!
     Erma:  No way, did you know Jesus?!?

Too funny, and a great reminder to me of how lucky I am to be matched with such a cool kiddo!

No comments:

Post a Comment