Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Good-Bye to Hospitality

Today was the day; my final day as a hotel employee! 
Very bittersweet.  I can't leave the last 7 years of my life without a little ode to hospitality and events.  It is where I met some of my best friends and had some of the most fun times.  So without sharing too much incriminating information, here are
My Top 5 Most Memorable Moments of Hospitality
(Drum roll please)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#5 - While working as an events planner for 84 Lumber Company, I was responsible for planning the Annual Ten Year recognition Weekend at Nemacolin Woodlands.  The crazy 4-day affair  in 2006 started with about 25 broken awards, which had to be re-made and re-shipped from Chicago in 48 hours, but the craziest part of the weekend came as I was leaving.  I was finally on my way home after barely sleeping for the four-day affair when I got a call that the 84 Lumber beaver head was missing.  (I can't make this stuff up).  It had been wrapped in a trash bag to be shipped back to the office and it was inadvertently thrown away.  I had the pleasure of digging through the trash for hours but never recovered that darn beaver head.  RIP 84 Lumber Beaver Head! 


#4 - It was very fun to come in contact with famous people while working in hospitality.  I saw Nicole Richie (barely) eating lunch, greeted NHL & NFL teams, booked rooms for Tommy Lee and Motley Crue and watched Keanu Reeves during his morning smoke break. 

#3 - Lots of fun travel!   Over the past seven years I've been able to travel to NYC a few times, Phoenix, Chicago, LA, Boston, San Diego, Dallas, Toronto, Albany, Saratoga Springs and lots of other places.    Saratoga Spring never failed to be the most exciting -- Enjoy Saratoga Springs, Always have Excedrin from the next morning.   

#2 - A highlight reel of my time in hotels would not be complete without a recap of some crazy MOD memories that included:  trying to have a rational conversation with wasted Long Island cops (not on duty fortunately) at 4 AM, dealing with guests that pee their pants in public, calling the cops on abusive husbands and handling a hooker that claimed she was assaulted by "clients"!  And you wonder why people in hospitality tend to drink a lot.

#1 - The A-M-A-Z-I-N-G People!!!!  I had great co-workers that are now my great friends!   It wasn't a day at office without morning bagel breaks, covering co-workers walls with birthing pool ads, turkey bowling, co-workers that wear Shape-ups, and even a bomb threat.  But I think that one of my favorite nights had to be when the Hyatt girls took me out for a "few" drinks before Denny and I tied the know.  Yikes, I'm not sure how 1 drink led to 10+ drinks, but it was a super fun night.com!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cheers to the next chapter in life.  If I meet half the amazing people as I have met in the last seven, I'll be one lucky lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment